Boulders Beach, situated near Simon’s Town in False Bay, is a secluded beach that is great for swimming and perfect for spotting African penguins.
The beach took eighth place on the list, joining beaches such as Hyams Beach, Australia; Mineral Beach, Israel; and Punaluu Beach, Hawaii.
The world’s largest travel site, TripAdvisor offers honest advice from real travellers and has given many a wannabe traveller information and guidance on travelling in foreign countries.
Forming part of the Table Mountain National Park, Boulders Beach charges an entrance fee that is used to continue conserving the approximately 3 000 endangered African penguins of the colony.
TripAdvisors top 10 truly unique beaches in the world are:
1. Maho Beach, St. Maarten, Caribbean – where you can watch aeroplanes take off and land
2. Glass Beach, Fort Bragg, California – a beach made of polished glass pebbles
3. Pfeiffer Big State Beach, Big Sur, California – a beach of purple sand
4. Palawan Beach, Singapore – a man-made artificial beach
5. Punaluu Beach, Hawaii – with its black sand beach
6. Mineral Beach, Dead Sea, Israel – where you can float on the sea
7. Hyams Beach, New South Wales, Australia – the whitest sand beach in the world
8. Boulders Beach, Cape Town, South Africa – home of a colony of penguins
9. Hot Water Beach, North Island, New Zealand – water is heated by volcanic hot springs
10. Pink Sand Beach, Harbour Island, Bahamas – a pink sand beach